Friday, May 8, 2009

Potato Salad

It is a beautiful, sunny day here and I feel energized!!  I have been working on a completely new line of bags and I am hoping to list the first one tonight.  As much as I would love to spend the day out in the sunshine, I really want to get this first bag finished.

Yesterday, I promised to share the recipe for “Potato Salad” made with fresh cauliflower.  It was a huge hit at our house, and it is a great way to reduce the carb count in a meal, and not feel deprived.  I will give you the recipe just as it was written, but I altered mine a bit to fit our diet, plus I wanted it to be as close to what my regular potato salad usually is.  For one thing, we use reg. or lowfat mayo…not fat free.  Same with sour cream..we use light.  Also, I always use celery seed instead of sliced celery and dehydrated onion instead of the red onion in my salads, so I did that in this too.  I also used the whole egg and not just the white as we can have the yolk. 

My daughter Megan found this cookbook written by Lisa Lillien, titled “Hungry Girl 200 under 200”, which has 200 recipes that are under 200 calories.  Many of the recipes are “South Beach” friendly.  Megan is letting me borrow it for a while so I can try more of the recipes.  The potato salad recipe is from this cookbook.

cookbook

I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S NOT POTATO SALAD!

INGREDIENTS

1 large head cauliflower, roughly chopped 

6 hardboiled egg whites, chilled and chopped  

1/2 envelope dry ranch dressing/dip mix

1 1/2 cups fat free mayonnaise

1/2 cup fat free sour cream

3 TBSP. Hellman’s / Best Foods Dijonnaise

2 TBSP. fat free non-dairy liquid creamer

1 cup diced red onion

2 celery stalks, diced

1/4 cup chopped chives

3 TBSP. seasoned rice vinegar

2 TBSP. chopped dill

2 TBSP. chopped parsley

1/4 teas. salt

Optional garnish: paprika

DIRECTIONS

Place the cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl and pour 1/3 cup of water over it.  Cover and microwave for 6 – 8 minutes, until cauliflower is soft.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ranch mix, mayo, sour cream, dijonnaise, and salt.  Set aside.

Once bowl is cool enough to handle, drain any excess water from cauliflower.  Lightly mash 2 cups of the cauliflower (set the rest aside), then place the mashed cauliflower in a blender.  Add creamer and puree or pulse until blended.  Don’t worry if puree isn’t completely smooth.  Pour mayo mixture into blender, and mix all until blended and creamy.

Chop remaining cauliflower into small, 1/2 inch pieces.  Place cauliflower in a large bowl, and add onion, celery, and vinegar.  Toss well and let sit for 5 minutes.

Pour blender mixture over the vegie and mix well.  Add chopped egg white, chives, dill and parsley.  Stir lightly.

Chill for several hours before serving.  Sprinkle with paprika, if you like. Mmmmm!

Makes 10 servings

I would love to know if anyone else gives this recipe a try.  As I try some of the other recipes in this cookbook, I will share the ones I really like.  Oh yeah, I lost another pound and a half today…so I am really encouraged to stay on the straight and narrow.  :o)

1 comment:

Audrey said...

That sounds yummy!! I love potato salad, but this my family would eat too!!


My Etsy Shop