Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie

This is that time of year when zucchini squash becomes very plentiful.  My mom gives us many of these awesome squash out of her garden.  I made this “Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie” for dinner last night and it was so yummy, I thought I would share the recipe. My mom used to make this when I was a kid, and now I make it a couple of times every summer.  You can make a meal of just the pie as it has cheese in it, or serve it with some sort of meat (we had cube steak with ours).   I wish I would have taken a picture of the pie before we ate it so I could post a pic, but it smelled so good, all I could think of was eating it.  :o)

ITALIAN ZUCCHINI CRESCENT PIE

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  You will need;

4 cups of sliced zucchini

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup butter or margarine

2 TBSP parsley, 1/2 teas. salt and pepper, 1/4 teas. garlic powder, 1/4 teas. basil, and 1/4 teas. oregano

2 eggs

2 cups shredded mozzarella or muenster cheese

2 tsp. brown or Dijon mustard

1 8 oz. can crescent dinner rolls

Melt butter in a large skillet and cook the squash and the onion until tender.   Stir in parsley and other seasonings.  In a large bowl, mix the eggs and cheese and add the squash mixture., and stir until mixed.

Separate the 8 triangles and place in an ungreased 10 inch pie plate or a 12 x 8 baking dish.  Press over the bottom and up the sides of the pan to form the crust.  Use the back of a spoon to spread the mustard evenly around on the crust.  Pour your squash and cheese mixture into crust and spread it evenly.

Bake until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  If your crust starts to get too brown, cover with foil for the last 10 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.  Cut into wedges to serve.  Serve hot, and enjoy!!

2 comments:

Lady_Sudz said...

That sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!!!! Yummy!

Brenda said...

Fantastic idea--seems like zucchini is one of those veggies that never stops producing!

fosterbk.etsy.com


My Etsy Shop