Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday, January 24th

I hope no one has given up on me ever posting again. I have been busy, but mostly I think I have the winter blahs. Things have actually been going pretty well. One great success is that Steve and I finally started back on the "South Beach Diet". We are shaking our heads and wondering why we ever stopped eating this way. We love the various foods we can have, and I actually compiled a large recipe book of phase 1 and phase 2 recipes that we really enjoyed the last time we were on this diet. I decided that since I was so diligent on posting some yummy, but not so healthy recipes, that I am going to randomly post some of our favorite recipes that I have either found or converted to be" South Beach "friendly. I think you may be surprised at how delicious healthy eating can be. Today is day # 5 for us, so we are well under way.

Business has been slow in both of my shops. This is to be expected after the holidays. I have sold a few items, but not much. I need to get back to promoting more. I did finish a couple of new bags, but need to get the last one listed.

I have unfortunate and heartbreaking news. Our 21 year old adopted son, Chris, who was released from the county jail in October was arrested again on Wednesday. We were hoping that he had learned something from the last incarceration, but evidently he didn't. We don't know yet what his official charges will be, as there is a chance he may be able to get them reduced. He has two court dates scheduled in two different towns, so we will have to wait and see. The D.A.'s office already said they are quite sure they won't let him out to await the court dates because the last time they did that, he ran. I would rather see him kept right where he is until it is decided what will happen, than to see him have the opportunity to run again and end up in a bigger mess. Our whole family is sad and very disappointed....hopefully this time will be it, because I can't lose the hope that one day he will respect himself enough to live a life he can be proud of.

On a much happier note, Steve and I attended Nick's C.S.E. meeting at school yesterday. There were quite a few people present at this meeting, and every one of them talked about the great improvements they have seen in Nick and how much better school has been going. He does have a ways to go, but the improvements have given everyone encouragement. I think the biggest help has been that his "Skill Builder", Ken, has been going into school and working with him as well as training the staff how best to deal with Nick. Everyone has been pleased with how well Brad transitioned back to home and how well Nick adjusted to him being back home. Brad loves school and is hoping to start bowling once a week after school.

Steven is evidently being hired on permanently for a construction company. For the last couple of months he has been working through a temp agency, so this is great. We have seen him mature and it has been interesting to hear him sounding frustrated at others when they are doing things that he used to do (like drinking with no thought to anyone else). We are so grateful for the changes he has made.

Reid and Rachel are both back at college. Rachel was very ill yesterday. I am hoping she feels better today. Megan and Scott are doing good, although my heart just breaks for Megan. She had to find a new home for one of her dogs and I think it almost broke her heart. As usual when my kids are hurting, I wish I could make it all better, but I can't. I can pray however, and I do plenty of that. :o)

No comments:


My Etsy Shop