Saturday, August 15, 2009

Recipe for Zucchini Bars

This is the time of year that everyone is over run with zucchini squash.  I had forgotten all about this recipe until yesterday.  Anyone who eats this will swear they are eating apples, not zucchini.  I made it probably 10 years ago, and my Dad (who hates zucchini and will not eat it) loved it .  Since it is baked on a large cookie sheet, it will feed many people.  I cut my zucchini in half the long way, and then after the seeds are out and the skin is gone I start slicing.  The shape even looks like apple slices.  :o)

ZUCCHINI BARS
1.)  Prepare crust:  4 cups flour, ½ teas. Salt, 2 cups sugar, 1 ½ cups
                          Butter or margarine
Mix like a pie crust until crumbly….set aside

2.)  Prepare filling:  Simmer 6-8 cups of sliced zucchini (skins and seeds removed) in 2/3 cups lemon juice until tender.  Add 1 cup sugar, ½ teas. Nutmeg, 1 teas. Cinnamon.  Simmer 5 more minutes.  Add ½ cup of the crust mixture to thicken.  Let cool.

3.)  Pat one half of the remaining crust mixture in a large cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and pour cooled filling on top.  Add 1 TBSP. cinnamon to remaining crust mixture and crumble on top of the filling. 

Bake 30 minutes longer at 375 degrees.

1 comment:

PaperPetalCreations said...

Mmmm...this sounds yummy! My favorite zucchini recipe is my mom's zucchini brownies but I think we need to try this one next. Thanks for sharing!


My Etsy Shop